Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Responsibility of the Press for the Iraq War

In the months preceding the war, you could hear the collapse of interest on the other end of the line when journalists hunting for quotes would hear my dissenting view on the war. This was a sad period for the freedom of the press.

In Fact...: "Daniel Okrent, former public editor of the New York Times, in a Q & A at Williams College in February, widened his critique of the Times's slack coverage of the run-up to the Iraq War: 'I don't think it is fair to say that Judith Miller caused the war in Iraq or that the New York Times did. I do think that it is fair to say that general rolling-over on the part of the American press allowed the war to happen. I do believe that that is true.... And I think that the press is extremely chastened by it--that we all know how bad it was.' "

No comments: